vrijdag 18 januari 2008

*Somos Alienados*


We are alienated, said Silo...his eyes reddish from the pain and from the beer...
Negritos festival in Huancavelica.
A catholic fiesta where everyone flocks to dance and see the procession of the niƱo perdido, the lost black child Jesus...which came from Chincha, which has a large amount of African descendants... from slavery times....again.....
The Apus, mountain Gods, just stand still and watch as the crowd gets drunker and drunker...
I wonder why it is that Catholicism has had and still has so much impact on these mountain people, whom had and some still do luckily so much to adore in Nature, Pachamama,Pachatata,...
And some tell me it isn t hidden beneath the Catholic festivals, and some say it is...
All I know is that to me, being of animist belief myself, the whole situation is awkward.

Religion, I ll never get it, especially not the ones not paying attention to Nature.

It was a sad fiesta for me, and all the festivals I ll visit from now on, must be of Andean origin, at their purest. Let s hope the one in Matahuasi coming sunday, will be one of those...

Geen opmerkingen: