donderdag 10 januari 2008

From being rained out to an old Cherokee


Finally, I reached NAZCA
The bus was mere luxury, compared to what I travelled in b4.But it was also doubly priced
We all got a meal ofchicken and rice, nothing to drink, to keep our urinary bladder quiet I believe...I didn t close one eye, allthough the seats were retractable, we had plenty of room and even got a semi cama effect, semi bed,...too much luxury isn t good for me.

It was a night filled with perfect timing, every time I peeped through the curtains some animal appeared or vanished in the dark....skunk like creatures, and vicuñas with their face so sweet, cacti and an ever changing landscape, from puna, aai mi querida, to volcanic nothingness, to desert dunes
Came into Nazca with 30 min of delay, very good to Peruvian standards... and sweating, bcuz it s hot...
Here in this strange edgy town, where all cars have some nostalgy they carry with them, people dress almost nudely, a shock after the layers of clothes in the sierra,I found some solace.
I can t put my finger on it what it is that I enjoy so much, is it the desert surrounding it, the light, the people, the heat,...I dunno, but I know I like it.
Oddly enough.

The cemetary had some pumpkinheaded babies, and some mummified rastas from the Chincha culture. They didn t practice the sacrifices of humans like the Incas did after them, and everyone was good enough to get mummified and a tomb after his death, to ensure afterlife.
A weird thing to see rastas, yeah with dreads to their feet or longer, in foetal position.They were the shamans. But graverobbers have emptied many of the graves contents, I would have done the same if I were to be poor in Peru...
Also visited a ceramic fabric and a gold extraction fabric, with a delightful entertainer...

Then romanticism came upon me as I discovered the Nazca lines, the tree, the hands and the tail of the lizzard, cut off of his body by the Pan Americana...
Rain, rain started to fall down, as I wondered in awe at these mysterious lines...in the EVERSOBEAUTIFUL desert.......

Geen opmerkingen: